Local calibration of rigid pavement cracking model in the new mechanistic-empirical pavement design guide using bootstrapping

Syed W. Haider, Wouter C. Brink, Neeraj Buch

    Research output: ResearchConference contribution

    • 1 Citations

    Abstract

    The local calibration of the performance models in the new mechanistic-empirical pavement design guide is a challenging task, especially due to the lack of needed data. For the selected set of pavement sections for local calibration, the data requirements include (a) a wide range of inputs related to traffic, climate, design and material characterization, (b) a reasonable extent and occurrence of observed performance data over time. In addition, to data limitations, the conventional statistical methods of split sampling for model calibration and validation further add to these complications. In the traditional approach about 70% of the data set is used for calibration and remaining 30% is utilized for validation. However, most of the States have a limited number of identified pavement sections for local calibration. Therefore, there is a need to employ statistical methodologies that are more efficient and robust for model calibrations given the data related challenges encountered by state highway agencies. In this paper, the rigid pavement cracking model was calibrated using the traditional and advanced statistical resampling approaches like jackknifing and bootstrapping. Jackknifing and bootstrapping methods provide more reliable assessment of the model prediction accuracy than the alternative methods. While traditional split sample approach use a two-step process for calibration and validation, advance approaches can simultaneously consider both steps. Moreover, the goodness-of-fit statistics are based on predictions rather than on data used for fitting the model parameters. The efficiency and robustness of such approaches become more important when the sample size is small. The results in the paper show the effect of different approaches on model parameter estimations and compare the role of such parameters in reducing the bias and the standard error of the cracking model.

    LanguageEnglish (US)
    Title of host publicationT and DI Congress 2014: Planes, Trains, and Automobiles - Proceedings of the 2nd Transportation and Development Institute Congress
    PublisherAmerican Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
    Pages100-110
    Number of pages11
    ISBN (Print)9780784413586
    StatePublished - 2014
    Event2nd Transportation and Development Institute Congress - Planes, Trains, and Automobiles: Connections to Future Developments, T and DI 2014 - Orlando, United States
    Duration: Jun 8 2014Jun 11 2014

    Other

    Other2nd Transportation and Development Institute Congress - Planes, Trains, and Automobiles: Connections to Future Developments, T and DI 2014
    CountryUnited States
    CityOrlando
    Period6/8/146/11/14

    Profile

    Pavements
    Calibration
    Parameter estimation
    Statistical methods
    Statistics
    Sampling

    ASJC Scopus subject areas

    • Civil and Structural Engineering
    • Safety, Risk, Reliability and Quality
    • Mechanics of Materials

    Cite this

    Haider, S. W., Brink, W. C., & Buch, N. (2014). Local calibration of rigid pavement cracking model in the new mechanistic-empirical pavement design guide using bootstrapping. In T and DI Congress 2014: Planes, Trains, and Automobiles - Proceedings of the 2nd Transportation and Development Institute Congress (pp. 100-110). American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE).

    Local calibration of rigid pavement cracking model in the new mechanistic-empirical pavement design guide using bootstrapping. / Haider, Syed W.; Brink, Wouter C.; Buch, Neeraj.

    T and DI Congress 2014: Planes, Trains, and Automobiles - Proceedings of the 2nd Transportation and Development Institute Congress. American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), 2014. p. 100-110.

    Research output: ResearchConference contribution

    Haider, SW, Brink, WC & Buch, N 2014, Local calibration of rigid pavement cracking model in the new mechanistic-empirical pavement design guide using bootstrapping. in T and DI Congress 2014: Planes, Trains, and Automobiles - Proceedings of the 2nd Transportation and Development Institute Congress. American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), pp. 100-110, 2nd Transportation and Development Institute Congress - Planes, Trains, and Automobiles: Connections to Future Developments, T and DI 2014, Orlando, United States, 6/8/14.
    Haider SW, Brink WC, Buch N. Local calibration of rigid pavement cracking model in the new mechanistic-empirical pavement design guide using bootstrapping. In T and DI Congress 2014: Planes, Trains, and Automobiles - Proceedings of the 2nd Transportation and Development Institute Congress. American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE). 2014. p. 100-110.
    Haider, Syed W. ; Brink, Wouter C. ; Buch, Neeraj. / Local calibration of rigid pavement cracking model in the new mechanistic-empirical pavement design guide using bootstrapping. T and DI Congress 2014: Planes, Trains, and Automobiles - Proceedings of the 2nd Transportation and Development Institute Congress. American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), 2014. pp. 100-110
    @inbook{e39cca3448844c63b5de9fad9c877850,
    title = "Local calibration of rigid pavement cracking model in the new mechanistic-empirical pavement design guide using bootstrapping",
    abstract = "The local calibration of the performance models in the new mechanistic-empirical pavement design guide is a challenging task, especially due to the lack of needed data. For the selected set of pavement sections for local calibration, the data requirements include (a) a wide range of inputs related to traffic, climate, design and material characterization, (b) a reasonable extent and occurrence of observed performance data over time. In addition, to data limitations, the conventional statistical methods of split sampling for model calibration and validation further add to these complications. In the traditional approach about 70% of the data set is used for calibration and remaining 30% is utilized for validation. However, most of the States have a limited number of identified pavement sections for local calibration. Therefore, there is a need to employ statistical methodologies that are more efficient and robust for model calibrations given the data related challenges encountered by state highway agencies. In this paper, the rigid pavement cracking model was calibrated using the traditional and advanced statistical resampling approaches like jackknifing and bootstrapping. Jackknifing and bootstrapping methods provide more reliable assessment of the model prediction accuracy than the alternative methods. While traditional split sample approach use a two-step process for calibration and validation, advance approaches can simultaneously consider both steps. Moreover, the goodness-of-fit statistics are based on predictions rather than on data used for fitting the model parameters. The efficiency and robustness of such approaches become more important when the sample size is small. The results in the paper show the effect of different approaches on model parameter estimations and compare the role of such parameters in reducing the bias and the standard error of the cracking model.",
    author = "Haider, {Syed W.} and Brink, {Wouter C.} and Neeraj Buch",
    year = "2014",
    isbn = "9780784413586",
    pages = "100--110",
    booktitle = "T and DI Congress 2014: Planes, Trains, and Automobiles - Proceedings of the 2nd Transportation and Development Institute Congress",
    publisher = "American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)",

    }

    TY - CHAP

    T1 - Local calibration of rigid pavement cracking model in the new mechanistic-empirical pavement design guide using bootstrapping

    AU - Haider,Syed W.

    AU - Brink,Wouter C.

    AU - Buch,Neeraj

    PY - 2014

    Y1 - 2014

    N2 - The local calibration of the performance models in the new mechanistic-empirical pavement design guide is a challenging task, especially due to the lack of needed data. For the selected set of pavement sections for local calibration, the data requirements include (a) a wide range of inputs related to traffic, climate, design and material characterization, (b) a reasonable extent and occurrence of observed performance data over time. In addition, to data limitations, the conventional statistical methods of split sampling for model calibration and validation further add to these complications. In the traditional approach about 70% of the data set is used for calibration and remaining 30% is utilized for validation. However, most of the States have a limited number of identified pavement sections for local calibration. Therefore, there is a need to employ statistical methodologies that are more efficient and robust for model calibrations given the data related challenges encountered by state highway agencies. In this paper, the rigid pavement cracking model was calibrated using the traditional and advanced statistical resampling approaches like jackknifing and bootstrapping. Jackknifing and bootstrapping methods provide more reliable assessment of the model prediction accuracy than the alternative methods. While traditional split sample approach use a two-step process for calibration and validation, advance approaches can simultaneously consider both steps. Moreover, the goodness-of-fit statistics are based on predictions rather than on data used for fitting the model parameters. The efficiency and robustness of such approaches become more important when the sample size is small. The results in the paper show the effect of different approaches on model parameter estimations and compare the role of such parameters in reducing the bias and the standard error of the cracking model.

    AB - The local calibration of the performance models in the new mechanistic-empirical pavement design guide is a challenging task, especially due to the lack of needed data. For the selected set of pavement sections for local calibration, the data requirements include (a) a wide range of inputs related to traffic, climate, design and material characterization, (b) a reasonable extent and occurrence of observed performance data over time. In addition, to data limitations, the conventional statistical methods of split sampling for model calibration and validation further add to these complications. In the traditional approach about 70% of the data set is used for calibration and remaining 30% is utilized for validation. However, most of the States have a limited number of identified pavement sections for local calibration. Therefore, there is a need to employ statistical methodologies that are more efficient and robust for model calibrations given the data related challenges encountered by state highway agencies. In this paper, the rigid pavement cracking model was calibrated using the traditional and advanced statistical resampling approaches like jackknifing and bootstrapping. Jackknifing and bootstrapping methods provide more reliable assessment of the model prediction accuracy than the alternative methods. While traditional split sample approach use a two-step process for calibration and validation, advance approaches can simultaneously consider both steps. Moreover, the goodness-of-fit statistics are based on predictions rather than on data used for fitting the model parameters. The efficiency and robustness of such approaches become more important when the sample size is small. The results in the paper show the effect of different approaches on model parameter estimations and compare the role of such parameters in reducing the bias and the standard error of the cracking model.

    UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=84933504971&partnerID=8YFLogxK

    UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=84933504971&partnerID=8YFLogxK

    M3 - Conference contribution

    SN - 9780784413586

    SP - 100

    EP - 110

    BT - T and DI Congress 2014: Planes, Trains, and Automobiles - Proceedings of the 2nd Transportation and Development Institute Congress

    PB - American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)

    ER -